Monday, March 2, 2015

SOLSC: 3-2-15

     
I feel my once relaxed muscles that were lounging on the couch tighten up in anticipation as Sean Penn walks up to the microphone. At first I didn't think that Sean Penn, an actor that I have barley heard of, was given with such a huge honor. Despite my perspective, my parents seemed quite excited to see him present the Oscar. He starts to speak just as every single one the presenters has so far in the show, by spewing well-written yet cliched comments about the nominees, and making a few half-funny jokes along the way. I try not to focus on what he is saying, but more what I want him to say when he finally announces the winner. I can picture it now: "And the winner is... Birdman!"
      I actually catches me off guard when he says the eternal words: "and the winner is.." Suddenly my entire living room is filled with crushing tension. The entire year for cinema in 2014 will be defined by this moment, when the winner for Best Picture is announced. I can feel myself tighten even more as Sean Penn opens the envelope and opens his mouth.
      "Who the Hell gave this guy his Green Card?! Birdman!"
      I am caught off guard by his first comment but also extremely happy that the movie I was wanting to win actually won! No matter what Sean Penn meant, I am still very excited!

4 comments:

  1. Nice. I like how you described your excitment and confusion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you put a picture into your slice of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job of both building up the tension and showing what you were feeling along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job on this slice, it was really dramatic

    ReplyDelete