Sunday, March 29, 2015

Slice of Life: 3-29-15

   I run back to the beach grinning, as my sister plays in the shallower ocean water. Our time in California has been fun, visiting friends and staying at a nice hotel, nothing has gone wrong. Not until now. I continue slowly making my way back to the refuge of the warm beach and sweet parents, trying to find the most efficient way to run in water up to your thighs. The waves are slow and small, an unusual thing for this beach.
    Suddenly, I hear my sister yell, half in excitement and half in being scared. She runs quickly back to our parents and leaves me in the cold water. Confused, I look to her, then spin around, only to see a large blob rising up. That blob was water. Lots of it. I increase my speed as I realize what is happening, think I might be able to get away from the huge, sudden wave. I don't see it, but I feel its presence behind me, my little mind tricking my senses into think that I am about to be swallowed by a monster.
     I hear the wave start to crash down just behind me and realize that it is too late to get to the beach. I take one last look at my petrified parents and get enveloped by the water.
My body spins.
Flailing in the white water.
I swing my arms around in an attempt to get back up.
The crashing noise stops.
The wave rolls on itself on the beach.
And my small nine-year-old body floats up to the top.
     I swing my head up violently and break the barrier of water up to the oxygen above. I try to gasp. I can't. I can't breath. Why can't I breath?!! I start to run back to my parents anyway. They start off to me.
     By the time I get to land, I can breath again, but before i was in so much shock that my body just didn't want to. My mom and dad hug a towel around me, continually asking if I am alright. I realize I am fine, and we slowly make our way back up to the hotel room.

No comments:

Post a Comment