Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Slice of Life: 3-25-15

The tree sways in the wind of the blizzard, I feel like I am too. My legs have a numb sensation, with no more layers that the two everyone always has on, while my torso is actually pretty warm. We are eating lunch at school, my friends and I. Others have taken up the idea of huddling in one collective blog to stay as warm as possible from the onslaught of the wind and the snow. I take a bit of the sandwich I made this morning, hoping the carbohydrates will warm my body up more.
     My friends and I have been talking about different subjects, nothing really worth any of our time. Every minute or so someone exclaims about how cold they are, and others will call those going inside wimps. If you didn't know, my school allows Advanced School students to sit outside the cafeteria on a type of patio. Of course, many of us want to honor the privilege by sitting outside... Every day.
      I take more bites of my sandwich, hoping to somehow increase the amount of time the second hand goes around the clock so we can start to move around and play Frisbee. I then am reminded how much it will sting to catch the Frisbee. Maybe I won’t.
      I run out of sandwich to eat, so I put the plastic bag back into my lunchbox to protect it from the wind. I start to eat my chips. Before I know it we are called to go to recess. I guess I did will the clock to go faster. Walking to the field with my friends, I remember to glance back to the swaying tree.  

                     






2 comments:

  1. I love the cyclical nature of this slice. A small moment made larger through elegant prose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Slice Nate! I love your description of the blizzard in the first sentence. It was really cold.

    ReplyDelete