Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Slice of Life 26/31

    This week I read the book called "Legacy" by James Michner.
    Unless you are a James Michner fan, you probably haven't heard of this book, which is something I like about this book (it isn't well-known). If you know anything about James Michner at all, you would know that he writes novels on history, and they are extremely long and perhaps dry. The thing about this book is, is that is it actually quite short (250 pages) and is very interesting if you like history. I like history, so I enjoyed this book very much.
     It is basically about the legacy of the Starr family, and how they have each impacted American history. It starts out with a man in the 1960's who was accused of being part of a scandal in Iran, and needs to speak his innocents in front of a type of Senate. Before he does this, he looks back to his extensive ancestry for some kind of guidance, and for ways to use the patriotic advantage in his court case. It then starts with the first of his ancestors to live in America (Jared Starr) and talks about every one of them in history. Surprisingly, this is a true story and each of the members of the Starr family had a big impact on history and have extraordinary stories to tell. Some of them can get a little boring, like the longest of the stories told was of a man named Simon Starr who was part of the convention to write the Constitution. He has a signature on it, and leading up to that it talks about all of the things decided when writing the famous document, which was kind of interesting to me.
      I am not sure this book is for everyone, though. It goes through some events in history that aren't interesting for the average person that doesn't like history, and I thought it was cool, but is you know me, you know I really like history. It is one of those books that takes a certain person to like it. Besides that, I think Michner is actually a very interesting, intelligent, and overall goo writer, so I think if you are up for it, everyone should read this book.  

No comments:

Post a Comment