Thursday, March 13, 2014

Slice of Life 13/31

             I open the side door of the house, afraid of what I might see. My mom told me to go look behind the car on the side yard, saying that it would surprise me. I have no idea what to think will be here, around corner of the car. It is a nice morning, the birds are chirping, the wind rustles the leaves on the branches that are returning from winter, and is just before me and my mom leave for school. I am ready to go straight in to French class and learn new parts of the language, but before that, I must see what is behind the car.
Walking across the driveway, I see the red car, the one thing keeping me from apparently being astonished. Is it a dead animal? Is it a late birthday surprise? Is it a homeless person on our street corner? Suddenly, I find myself walking faster, the anticipation is really powerful. Just a few more steps. This could be really good for me, really bad for me, or doesn't affect me at all.
I round the corner of the car and stop dead in my tracks. I feel my jaw drop a little bit, and my heart accelerates. I gulp as I study the sight in front of me. I see the street corner. I see what the fence on our property line was, and I see skid marks along the grass. I see bent and twisted metal and scattered bricks. Someone had crashed into our fence and stopped right before they got to house, backed out, and continued driving.
This is the scenario that doesn't affect me a huge amount, but somehow I feel attacked, and a feeling that I need to protect myself or my family. I feel angry. There aren't any skid marks on the street, which means they just flew into our metal-bared fence.
I back away, and take one last look at the damage before I run into the house to ask my mom about it. I hope the police will find them.     

1 comment:

  1. wow. That would just be very wierd to drive by that if I was just some random person

    ReplyDelete