Saturday, March 22, 2014

Slice of Life 22/31

   I cringe in my head as Thibedaux get rammed from the side, but still stays on his feet. His real name is Jack, but in the first year that this team was made, there were two jacks, Jack Krestle, and Jack Thibedaux (his family is French) and we called them by their last names. Jack Krestle didn't make the team last year joining many that didn't do well at tryouts, while Thibedaux did, yet we still use the name Thibedaux or Tibey (as an easier way of saying it) when referring to him.
   Though a defender on the other team just attempted to trample him, he keeps composed and strong as he retains possession of the soccer ball. In the second half of our first game of the season, we have been dominating against our rivals from Boulder, pinning them in their own half of the field, yet we haven't scored yet. Another defender lunges in for he ball and knocks him off balance, nearly stealing the ball.
    I find my legs moving and my eyes scanning the defense for openings, something that eventually became habits so that I don't have to think about doing them. Thibedaux is near me on the field, him playing as a midfielder and me as a winger, and as I see that he might  lose the ball think about covering in a lower part of the field. I decide against it and make no movement to go back down the field. Still fighting for the ball, he out-muscles the defender and looks up for someone to pass the ball to. Then in a split second, I see an opening in the defense like I was searching for, a channel that a through ball can be played into. I make a subtle run into the space motioning for the ball to be played, we lock eyes and he knows where to pass it, a quickly pokes a ball through the defenders and sends me through on goal.
    I don't hesitate to take a touch, but look up as I run to meet the ball for someone to play the ball to. I see our tall forward, Slater, and play a lofting ball into his direction. Time slows down as it travels towards him the air, the goal keeper for Boulder getting ready to make a save. The ball comes down near his feet and despite having a defender on his back, manages to shoot a rocket of a shot towards the goal.    

1 comment:

  1. I like that this is both a very active slice, while at the same time introspective. You have a gift that way. And even though I do not understand some of the soccer lingo you use, the way you write makes me be able to see the action going on. Well done, both in the game and in the writing.

    ReplyDelete