Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Slice of Life 25/31

   A little while ago I bought a video game called Empire: Total War. I am not going to talk about the game very much, but more about what the game made me think about. It was an okay game, with nice controls and for the certain person (me) it is really fun because it simulates a battle in the developing stages of weaponry (1800's). What the game made me think about, however, was the cost and the importance of war over the years.

                                   I Don't

   Diplomats, politicians, and regular people don't want war, and say that they don't want to cause war, yet we always find ourselves in the thick of it. I think that has to mean that fighting isn't caused by people, but really just society. Everyone says another person started it, which is usually true, but then the other person says it was the first person's fault. All of this leads to it being a complete mystery as to who actually started the whole thing. Even Hitler has his reasons.

                                   Think
 
    The world has lost millions upon millions of lives due to wars, which makes you think, where would we be if war just didn't exist? I wonder if we traveled to all of the planets in the universe with a civilization like ours, if they would all be struggling with war too. I'm not sure we could even be as far as we are today without war. It has brought so many advancements for the human race, good or bad.

                                    It Is
   
      All of that being said, I still don't like it. I marvel over learning about it because it is so interesting to me, but I would hate it if it was going on in my time period. Everyone would. Unless you are some kind of maniac that wants to destroy humanity, you want yourself and everyone around you to be safe. I think about it every time I play Empire: Total War, but I don't let it damage my experience of it. Even though war can be good, I don't think it is

                                  Worth It

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Nate. The structure of this post alone is incredible. But the content is very thought-provoking. You know that I read a good deal about war and think about it a lot, too. It is interesting to hear your thoughts and ponder how they align with my own. How do we get sucked into these conflicts? Are they, indeed, worth it? I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess that I agree with you; I do think that war is important, but probably not wroth it anyways. I liked the structure of the Slice of Life. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very insightful slice Nate! I like your comment about how society starts war, not necessarily a single person.

    ReplyDelete