Sunday, March 16, 2014

Slice of Life 16/31

   I trump down the stairs after waking up. It is still the weekend, but it doesn't feel like it. I walk around the corner, to find my mom in the kitchen taking things out of the not-lit-up refrigerator.
   "Good morning." I say to her, but I don't get an answer. She looks tremendously flustered, in her robe, with her wavy brown hair not combed. It could be the fact that our nanny quit and she needs to find another one. It could also be that someone crashed into our fence a couple days ago, backed out, and left. It could also be that our dog is sick and keeps throwing up everywhere. There is a lot of stuff going on at our house this past week.
    "What happened?" I ask her, trying to sound comforting.
    "The refrigerator broke. Almost all of our food is spoiled." She says with a sigh. "I think our life is falling apart." So that is why the light to the refrigerator is out. My mom seems so passive, yet concentrated, I think that is the tole of being a parent. When it hits the fan you are the one that cleans it up, but you still need to maintain your busy schedule.
    I let her walk by me, as she takes some of the salvaged food into the fridge downstairs. I soon see my dad doing the same. When mom comes back, I offer to help, but she brushes it away. It seems like whenever somebody is faced with a big challenge, they don't want help, like they think things are already so bad, that help from others wouldn't help at all.
    I walk away and start my usual Sunday routine. This schedule is: turn on European soccer on the TV.  I settle into the couch and watch one of the biggest rivalries in the BPL. It is very entertaining, but I can't help but feel guilty. I see my mom start to clean out another part of the fridge and walk out of the room. I flip the TV off, get up, and take a some gallons of milk from the fridge to the downstairs refrigerator.  
 
     

6 comments:

  1. I love this! Not the part about how your life is falling apart, but how much talent you have to write this! This is probably the most well written slice I've seen today! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great piece of writing on many levels, Nate. Your descriptive detail is wonderful, from the small hint that there's no light in the frig to the list of "other" things happening in the family right now. There's tension and frustration in everyone, and kindness there at the end. I'm sorry for all the 'stuff' going on, and hope it gets better fast, but you've certainly captured it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Linday. I really love the way you write, all your slices are like little chapters in a book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so insightful into the frustrations of the world and how people tend to resist help the more they need it. Wonderful job describing the setting, your thinking about it, and the eventual action you take.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done, Nate. Not only are you a kind and wonderful son, but you are a wonderful writer. I love the insights about parents and the little details you include. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the thought process.

    ReplyDelete