Friday, November 21, 2014

Slice of Life 11-21-14

       I am utterly and completely lost. The parents on the bleachers clap and cheer, the coaches on the benches yell out commands, and shoes squeak on the wood floor, and I hardly know what to do. My first basketball game... ever has been going fine, but I still have a ton of work to do to be half as good as some of the kids. The game is much more repetitive than soccer which I have always played. Back and forth. Back and forth. I scramble to get to my position each time we get the ball and lose it. Everything is loud, confusing, and stressful.

        I am running up and down the baseline, frantically trying to get open for the large orange ball, knowing that I am making no impact on the game what-so-ever. The ball is being passed around the three-point line, as our team is attempting to make a break-though. The ball is swung around to the other side, and accidentally bounces out of bounds. Time to defend. I am running backwards to our side of the court when suddenly my heel contacted Adrian's foot an knocked me off balance. Trying not to fall over, I increased my running speed, trying to get my feet under neath me. I forget the game as I completely lose my center of balance, and fall backwards, landing all of my momentum on my wrist, and everyone on the court burst into laughter.

       I didn't notice the pain at first, as I was lifting myself up from the pretty embarrassing fall I just had. It seemed as though as soon as the laughter on my team's bench died down, I felt a sharp and uncomfortable pain shooting up from my wrist, and I realized this might be a bit more than embarrassing.

4 comments:

  1. I liked how you started, then ended in something so different. Sorry you hurt yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sucks that you hurt yourself, but I like your slice! It totally describes the mayhem of a basketball game well. Nice Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you describe the craziness of basketball. The end is such a twist! nice SOL, hope you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sucks. your basketball game sounds a lot like how I felt at my first swim meet. I hate competing in all sports except soccer.

    ReplyDelete