Sunday, November 16, 2014

Slice of Life 11-15-14

    I find refuge under the warm, soft sheets of the hotel bed, not even bothering to take off my winter coat. I lay there for a moment, before finally coming to my senses and leave my survival-instinct state of mind. I see flashes of memories from moments before: slush on the side walk, homeless people savaging from trash cans, and cold yet dazzled people silhouetted by grand city lights. My mother and I had walked through the center of downtown to pick up our dinner from an Asian restaurant, and returned back to our hotel, desperate to vacate the negative temperatures of outside.
     If I forgot about my numb face and stiff joints, the walk was incredibly enjoyable and beautiful. However, I was much happier to enjoy the city's view from the warmth of the fourteenth floor of the Marriot Hotel. I soon brushed back my sheets and sat up, taking in the harsh reality that I would have to leave the hotel the next morning.
     

6 comments:

  1. Where is this? I really understand your sentiment here, I love to walk around in other cities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very much a city girl, myself, so loved reading this. I also understand about going outside when you know it will be cold and not feeling motivated by it, no matter how beautiful it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a really good post, I loved all of the description you used. I don't to be in a city like that very often, so I really enjoyed boston for that reason.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you mention the cold and the homeless people and juxtapose it with the clean, warm hotel rooms and your own dinner. And I love walking around downtowns at night with the lights up and the business that still exists at night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked reading this. that is what I felt like in NYC when we couldnt find a taxi and had to walk the 2 miles home at 9 at night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked reading this too- I liked how you summed your walk up in a few sentences. Nice Job!

    ReplyDelete