Friday, January 9, 2015

Slice of Life: 1-9-15

The small, rambunctious puppy runs into the small room at that me and my family are sitting in. He is all black except for a spot of white on his chest and is Labrador mix. I think he is part Pointer, because he is too thin and lean to be a complete Lab, but also is cute and pudgy. He trots into the room with his tail wagging, obviously enjoying himself. He seems to be able to insert himself into any situation and be happy and comfortable. I wish I could be like him.
     My family and I have decided that we want to get a dog, and are looking for 'applicants' at the Dumb Friends League. The shelter is so conflicting, while showing the world how cute dogs, cats, and other animals can be, but also displaying all of the sad things they have been through. They have a program where you can meet your future dog in a small room like this one, and play with it, and ultimately decide whether or not you want it for a 'best friend.' The small dog in front of us is called Tivo, and he is the youngest of the dogs that we have seen. He awkwardly runs around the room greeting all of us by sniffing us looking into our eyes and perhaps jumping on us. He is so cute, but in my mind is contending with many others that want as a dog. There is a Husky that I really want named saber.
      My mom fills out a sheet for him as we play with Tivo, throwing a provided toy for him to retrieve. The time flies by really fast, and I am not sure if that is good or bad. A volunteer from the Dumb Friends League step in with a small blue leash and puts it around Tivo's neck, attempting to contain the ball of life that he is. My sister and I say one last goodbye to the dog, and silently think about the time we just spent with the animal.
      He would bring a lot of light to the house, and he is seemingly really fun. My mom starts to recite some of his description to us, "He was sent to the Dumb Friends League after being found alone on the streets of Huston. Tivo is still only two months old."
      The statement makes us all say "Awwww..." in unison, something most people cannot prevent themselves from doing in the cases of dogs. Mom continues: "He is a wonderful dog, but might have issues with people leaving, as he was left alone as a small puppy. I discard the information and continue to think about the cuteness of the Tivo. I don't like the name very much, however, so I start to think of names. After some time of considering, I decide to think on it later.
      Little did we know that he would become our dog, and I would think of a perfect name for him,Tintin, after my favorite comic book series. Also, he would grow to be even more lean, and that he would be a perfect dog for our family (despite his attachment issues) for five straight years, all the way through to today.

No comments:

Post a Comment