Friday, January 17, 2014

Slice of Life #4

Trying to Write a SOL

    The topic I got to write about, was: writing a Slice of Life, or trying to at least.
    I glance up at the words on the screen, written on a virtual page. "London Traffic" it says in big writing on my poetry blog. I'm trying to think of the perfect line to start with. I close my eyes and dive into the memory of about a month ago. I see me and my family walking down the London sidewalk and seeing the huge red buses careening down the crowded streets. "The buses in London constantly test the compatibility of the vehicles and the skill of the drivers when they turn the corners at top speed." No. I can't start it with that. I file the idea in the back of my thoughts for sometime int he body of writing that it will fit. I also need to work on the phrasing a bit more.
     I need to start this thing soon, I have other things to do. I could start it with a description of the cabs and buses. No. Maybe a A joke? No. (jeez. I'm turning into Golum). Lets just start with something. Something fast and hooking. Okay, fine.
     I settle my hands onto the smooth computer keys and type the first thing that comes to mind "The cabs and buses go far too fast through the city of London." Meh. It is okay. I look at the words again. I put my finger on the keys again and start to type. The thoughts flow out of my head and into the computer memory. I've got my groove.           

4 comments:

  1. I love this! It is surprising and funny. Being a LOTR lover, I am particularly fond of the Golum comment. But, I also like the conversational tone of the writing, as well as its seeming reference back to an earlier SOL you've written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always have a golem side. Precious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your solid and true voice came right through, Nate. I like hearing the thoughts, just like writers do, write, delete, write, talk to oneself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the golem part to but my favorite was definitely the part where you talked about the London cab drivers. They are really crazy!

    ReplyDelete