Friday, January 24, 2014

Slice of Life #5

Co-existing as Books

       No one thinks books can think. But we can. We use our collective knowledge to see or 'know' our surroundings. We exist in silence and peace, and we thrive with those two things. We rest hopefully on shelves in the thought that we can help humans (our creators) more than they have helped us. We respect old books and welcome new, always hoping to pass on knowledge and ideas to generation after generation.
       I sit as I have been for a long time now, on a honey-colored shelf in the boy's room. I am the oldest of the books on the shelf. I've been with this boy for seven years or so, which of course is very short time for a book, but I am with a young kid. I was printed in New Hampshire, unlike all of the books I have ever come into touch with (which are made in New York) and I am proud of originating from a different place.
       "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" are the large words on my cover, the boy has only read me once. I don't know much about this boy, because he is hardly ever in his room, besides when he sleeps, and that isn't very interesting. He loves soccer and history, judging from the books along side me, and has grown up like many 'normal' boys. Of course, there is no such thing as being normal, but if you think about it, then it is normal to be weird. Us books have a lot of time to ponder over things like this, but with such a young, small collection of books there isn't much information to look at. I know plenty about the greatest soccer players, and cool warriors from the wolds past, but I would like to go just around the corner of his door and associate myself with the huge collection of wise, old books.
       I don't even know how what I am thinking is getting transferred onto blogger for peed's sake. I live in a world where soccer dominates life-style, and history is the most important subject. I am smart enough to know that there other things outside of this little room, but I have know idea what. If only he would pick me up and tuck me under his shoulder, and go to a park and show me to the world. That would be perfect.
       We co-exist, though no one really knows we do. I'm fine being a book, would you be?
       No one thinks books can think. But we can. We use our collective knowledge to see or 'know' our surroundings. We exist in silence and peace, and we thrive with those two things. We rest hopefully on shelves in the thought that we can help humans (our creators) more than they have helped us. We respect old books and welcome new, always hoping to pass on knowledge and ideas to generation after generation.  

3 comments:

  1. That was really cool, Nate. It's unique and clever - and you captured the perspective so well. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nate, I love this one! Such an original perspective. Even through a different voice, I learned something about you. I particularly enjoy the description of "honey-colored" and this line: "I'm fine being a book, would you be?" I totally would be fine being a book! As long as I got to pick which one, I guess :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful to write from a different point of view, but as Kam said, you're showing much about yourself too. Time to take that book for a walk!

    ReplyDelete