Thursday, April 16, 2015

O so many Odes (or only one)

ODE TO CHRISTMAS EVE:
oh, how you remain in the back of my mind
for spring summer and fall
and how once in a while your songs creep into my head
leaving me yearning for you more than ever
with you loud noises, bright colors
along side quiet sounds and dim lights
leaving me restless until next moring
oh, how the singing and caroling
fills me up 
and how the cookies and cakes
leave me empty
when the family spends all night chatting
and telling jokes
all accompanied with thunderous laughter
and how when the clock hand both stand directly upwards
and people start shuffling out
we drink our last glass of eggnog 
sing our last carol
and tuck ourselves into bed
ready for a sleepless night.

1 comment:

  1. You make me really wish it was Christmas Eve! I love Christmas Eve, too, for many of these same reasons. You have some lovely imagery and vivid descriptions. I love how you used many different senses to write this.

    ReplyDelete