Monday, December 16, 2013

Slice of Life

Saturday Night Drive
  
        I press my knees together as a kid from upper primary squishes me up against the window. We're at my friend James' Birthday Party, and we are just coming back from seeing the new movie Catching Fire. James' little brother William invited the kid-I-don't-know-his-name to play with while all of James' friends watched the movie, which ended, so we are driving back to his house to watch more movies and stay up until 1:00am.
        I decide to ignore the other kids in the backseat with me (who are obviously ignoring me) and look out the window at the bright lights reflecting on the street. The window fogs up and evaporates with the pulse of my breath, and a lean my head back and start to feel comfortable. Though I'm not in the car with all of the other boys my age, i bet they are having a good time, and I can't wait to get to James' house and open presents. 

3 comments:

  1. You've included lots of feelings in this, Nate, a good intro that lets us in on what's happening, then that slowing down at the end as you wait, trying to be patient till the 'real' party. I love those exact details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Slice Nate. I remember so many "slightly uncomfortable" car rides from my youth as I anticipated the next thing to come. You give great details about that show the cramped backseat that make this so real.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I very much like your slice, especially your first line. It captures a short, but vivid moment within you larger scene.

    ReplyDelete